What is the "Swing Bed Program?"
Heart of Texas Healthcare System offers a Medicare Swing Bed Program for post-acute extended care. The swing bed program provides skilled nursing care and rehabilitation services. Common Diagnoses treated in this program include patients with long term IV therapy, orthopedic surgeries, (hip/knee replacements), fractures, post-surgical procedures, neurological disorders (stroke), and generalized weakness due to CHF, COPD, pneumonia, and other chronic conditions.
In order to qualify for Swing Bed Services a patient must meet the following requirements:
- Covered by Medicare Part A
- Have had 3 consecutive nights in an acute care bed in the last 30 days
- Have an ongoing diagnosis and needs that require skilled care as defined by Medicare
Some private insurance plans cover Swing Bed services.
Length of Stay
The length of stay in Swing Bed is dependent upon individual patient needs and progress. Average length of stay is 7-10 days. Medicare will cover up to 20 days at 100% providing the patient has a skilled need. It is very important to understand that Swing Bed care requires the use of the Medicare patient’s skilled nursing facility benefit. Swing Bed is not intended for permanent placement; it is for continued care until the patient returns home or transfers to a facility for long term care.
Patients are discharged from Swing Bed Services when:
- They have achieved the maximum benefit of skilled nursing or rehabilitation, as determined by the physician
- The care being provided has become custodial in nature
- The patient’s continuing care requires long term rehabilitation placement
- There is a change in the patient’s needs/level of care
Heart of Texas Healthcare System is pleased to offer this service to our community and we look forward to serving you and your family.
Swing Bed Coordinator: 325-792-3946